Why Korean Skincare Products Aren't a Trend
For years, I've been a dedicated fan of Korean skincare products. It started when a friend of mine introduced a few Korean products into our normal Sephora conversation about what to try (and not), plus what the new "it" product was at the time. In the last five years, my medicine cabinet is filled with 95 percent skincare products, most of those from Peach & Lily, my go-to holy grail where I stock up on serum, essence, eye cream, moisturizer, sheet marks and more. I have normal skin and am very fortunate to have healthy skin at that. My daily routine is simple, but involves a series of steps that take time, all resulting in skin I'm proud to flaunt... even on days when I just want to wear black sunglasses, a hat and hoodie.
Remember, these are products that I've used for a while now, so I know they work for me and haven't caused breakouts, skin irritations, discoloration, etc. I purchase everything from Peach & Lily which provides details on each product, ingredients, skin types and more. You can also watch Alicia Yoon, Founder of P&L doing live chats on her Instagram page. She's great at explaining how each product reacts to our skin, benefits and can even recommend what to try for your specific needs.
Also, I should mention that everyone talks about what order the products should be used in to attain the best results. Honestly, I've Googled this topic so many times and finally decided that I like to do the following:
- Avene XeraCalm A.D Lipid-Replenishing Cleansing Oil - I use this day and night, especially after a long day at work when my makeup and waterproof mascara melt off without leaving raccoon eyes. *Note: I wear very little makeup
- Pacifica Sea Foam Complete Face Wash - This is by far my favorite foam facial cleanser to date. The mild tropical smell reminds me of the Caribbean while leaving my skin soft, makeup-free and never dry. Tip: I sometimes skip the cleansing oil and use this face wash to remove my makeup. ALL of my makeup comes off. Trust!
- Thayers Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner - To make your toner last longer and to ensure your skin is getting its money's worth, fill a small spray bottle with the toner. After cleansing, spritz your face. You can also saturate a cotton pad with toner to wipe away any traces of makeup.
- Be the Skin Botanical Nutrition Power Serum (Korean Product) - I've used various products by this brand and can honestly say I love how moisturized my face feels.
- Volufiline15 Eye Essence (Korean Product) - Referred to as an essence, this version for the eyes substitutes as a cream too. It's light, yet moistures the undereye area leaving you with a subtle lychee smell. I've noticed a visible difference in less fine lines and dark circles.
- May Coop Raw Sauce (Korean Product) - As a combined toner, emulsion and essence, this leaves my skin super moisturized which I love. I use this every day - morning and night - because although I typically do not have dry skin, I like how it's an added layer of moisture for a long day at the office or running errands.
- Peach Slices Citrus-Honey Aqua Glow - Moisturize! Moisturize! Moisturize! This inexpensive daily cream is something I started using a few months ago and can't recommend enough. It doesn't leave your skin greasy or oily. Instead, it hydrates by adding another level of moisture, leaving you with dewy (healthy looking skin). You can also find this at your local CVS stores.
- Everyday Sunscreen with Natural Oat Extract by Supergoop - I wear suncreen every day of the year and have been doing it since I was a teenager. I don't care if it's raining, overcast or 100 degrees, I'm wearing sunscreen to protect myself. Unlike other sunscreens that can leave your face (and body) coated in an unwanted thick white mask, Supergoop doesn't. It's light, barely has a scent and perfect for skin tones that range in beautiful colors. You'd never know I have it on!
Okay, so there you have it. Leave a message in the comments if you've tried any of these and what your thoughts are.
Photo Source: Pixabay, Peach & Lily, Pacifica, Thayers Supergoop and Dermastore.